Endless Makes Its Powerful Endless OS Available to Anyone to Download Free of Charge
HONG KONG and SAN FRANCISCO, June 2, 2016
Building on its mission to provide access to affordable personal computers to the 4 billion people without PCs, today at the RISE Conference Endless announced that their Endless OS is now available free of charge for anyone to download and use. Developed from the ground up to work seamlessly with expensive and restrictive data and Internet conditions in emerging markets, Endless OS delivers easy and reliable access to useful information and educational content, with or without an internet connection.
The Endless OS was created after three years of research and was developed from the ground up so that it’s useful for people in emerging countries: from the way that software updates, to performance both on and offline, to the way apps are installed and managed, and to the creation of the apps themselves. By making the Endless OS available for free download, everyone can access the Endless app ecosystem of 100s of preinstalled apps for health, education, business and entertainment including an office suite, Wikipedia, Khan Academy, curricula, and educational games on most computers, with or without internet access.
“The biggest challenge to connecting the next 4 billion people on earth today is access to affordable PCs and inexpensive data that will need to fall by 90 percent, on average, to make the Internet universally affordable for everyone,1” said Matt Dalio, Founder and CEO, Endless. “Endless OS was created to help people with no computer training and limited or even no internet connectivity join the digital world. Its primary feature, however, is the way in which it works on any form of internet connection so you’re able to access content from Wikipedia, Khan Academy, health information, recipes, and over a hundred such applications anytime you need it.”
Today, the Endless OS is available in two versions:
“Lite” version – Recommended for people who have regular access to the Internet and can download the apps and content they want from the Endless app center. This version is a 2 GB download that’s
– Available with basic pre-loaded desktop apps including a browser, a full office suite (compatible with files from Microsoft Word and Excel), a music player, and e-mail client and photo support.
– Supports the English, Spanish, Portuguese, French, Arabic, Chinese and Bahasa languages. Bengali, Thai and Vietnamese will be added soon.
“Full” version – Recommended for people who have no or very limited internet access, this version:
– Supports the English (as a 16GB download), Spanish (as a 13GB download) and Brazilian Portuguese (as a 10GB download) languages.
– Includes an app ecosystem of 100s of preinstalled apps for health, education, business and entertainment including an office suite, Wikipedia, Khan Academy, curricula, and educational games, training in micro-entrepreneurship and more.
– The same desktop apps pre-loaded including a browser, a full office suite (compatible with files from Microsoft Word and Excel), a music player, and e-mail client and photo support.
“By making Endless OS available for download, Endless aims to bring this experience to a wider community of advocates, contributors and potential users,” said Jonathan Blandford, VP Engineering, Endless. “The Endless OS is built on top of the Linux kernel, GNOME desktop and other popular open source products based on extensive, user feedback and research that was carried out around the world. The result is a solid, easy and beautiful OS that was designed to connect everyone in the developing world and help them lead more productive lives, which is at the heart of every decision we make.”